Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I have to say that I am almost jumping out of my chair in excitement, I leave for Costa Rica Friday!! I have to put this in here for all those people out there who have had bad experiences with travel/volunteer organizations, Cross-Cultural Solutions is truly amazing! The people that I have worked with (Whitney, Lauren!) have made me feel so safe and have really taken this trip to the nth degree for me, I have enjoyed just planning it! I remember going on the People to People Europe program to England and France and although PTP is a wonderful program, they looked at me as a liability issue and certainly not as an intelligent youth. I went with 20 of my peers and quite frankly felt like herded sheep getting a history lesson. So coming from PTP to Cross Cultural Solutions is like a 360.
I got my placement for when I'm in Cartago, first i'm working in a nursing home for the elderly, I'm really excited about hearing about their lives if they can tell them and if i can brush up on my Spanish! Then I'm off to a Special Education School, one of the largest on Costa Rica i hear. I can't wait to compare the different programs that i will be able to see there and bringing it back to America. I am also facinated in how the disabled are treated and what services are available in Costa Rica.
I have been reading the CCS manual and they talk a great deal about the psychological impact of volunteering abroad, there were 4 stages; flight, dependency, fight and adaption. I do hope i get to adaption rather quickly!! I am probably most worried about how well i'll adapt to the daily life and routine. But again CCS has set up exactly what i have needed, like shower chairs, bars, ramps etc. it's so lovely!!
I just wanted to thank all my friends and family, if you ever read this, for the financial and emotional support, I love you all and remember give my poor Mum lots of hugs next time you see her (she'll be home with Emma, alone!!) :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home