Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hello!
I just have to say this for Ann and Ana, Costa Rica has just installed a brailled and audio voting machine in every voting poll. I find it quite remarkable that the US still is totally incompetent in that area.
Sorry for the little note, but Costa Rica just held their elections and i beleive they still don`t know who won, but most likely the one with the most money!
We had a Valentines dance at the nursing home today, they were getting pretty frisky i have to say. The women and i made cards for all of their dead husbands and judging from the black hearts and flowers they didn`t like their husbands too much. I also tried to do their make up, it was interesting how it came out a lot different than i imagined... But the danced to old ranchero type music and it was the coolest valentines day.
I had the greatest weekend, a group of us went up to the Arrenal volcano and we took a safari boat ride up through the River frio, it was amazing. we actually saw a albino monkey supposedly this kind of mutation happens only once a few hundred years so we were fortunate , wwe also saw camens which are crocidile type creatures, and sloths which remind me of a few people in my family. :P The guide was so nice and i actually left my wheelchair at the hotel and he carried me everywhere. It was nice for the day but it could definently get old with my independence complex and everything. The town that we stayed in had a huge carnival and the whole town of Fortuna was swimming in beer and people screaming with Costa Rican rock music blaring. Yeah i stayed at the hotel that night, my wheechairs electrics are not fond of beer. The roads and sidewalks are horrible but i can always get across curbs because of the little pathways over the sewers, conveinent but not so lovely. Then we went Canopy touring, it was a blast. I felt horrible for the poor guy who carried me all the way up to the first zip line, i was worried i was going to kill him, but i figured out that somehow men like to show their manliness by almost passing out with exhaustion, but it worked for me and i went on 12 lines through the rainforest. It was so gorgous and i went over this massive waterfall, it`s so much better than in pictures. There were tucans and parrots flying about beneath me. It was incredible. There was this one line that went for half a mile and you got to see straight out to the volcano, with the smoke rising and the rainforest around it. The actual canopy tour is not accessable what so ever but if you don`t mind being carried by some costa rican men you`ll do fine.
I`m still with Adrian the nicest guy ive met, he actually helped put the make up on the women today and is quite good at it so i think he has that duty tomorrow. The people here especially the men are so loving and warm, it is still a partiarcal society but it seems the women are repected more. I know when i go around town alone all these guys are right there to help me and are actually sincere about it. I don`t know Mum, i may not be coming home alone! Tou do still have the bed and breakfast right?
Love everyone and love to hear from you all.
Meg

1 Comments:

Blogger Emma Smith said...

Oh my dear Megan,
If you happen to come home without a Costa Rican man I'm afraid i am going to have to keep sending you to different countries until you get the idea and start bringing home attractive foreigners. I want a new one every 3 months, from a different country for the duration of my highschool career. which should not be too long if I can help. I've got the Germans and Italians covered ( no need for them) but I must say I am getting rather bored. No matter how unevolved the american teenage boys are, they still have the ability to be entertaining (a bit like monkeys, except they generally don't bite). But recently they have lost theior last and only ability to entertain me. Not that you want to hear the dull details of the drudgery of my life but I will be babysitting for Minch tommorrow, than I will be going to dinner with Alexis adn family and friends for her 16th birthday. Valentines Day seemed to have been quite enjoyable for you, i really like the sound of these old ladies, black hearts are totally up my alley. You should try to get some gossip on them and tell me if any of them happened to have a hand in their hubbies death,that would very interesting. I unfortunatly was witness to the drooling and groping performances of my excellent classmates on this very special day. By the way I didn't appreciate the insinuating comment about family members who seemed to act in a way similar to sloths. If comments like that continue i may have to take another trip to your bedroom and perhaps conviently lose some of your things. Not that you'll need them, I am in serious doubt about whether or not you will be coming home. Thank god mumsy doesn't know that, she is becoming slightly compulsive. Anyways, love you my dear and please don't die. Ciao.
Emma

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home