Monday, April 03, 2006

Hola,
As Emma has so kindly reminded me that in 26 days i am back home, seems almost sereal and to be honest i am not quite sure if i am ready to come home! I miss you all so much but it seems i have so much more to explore! Like possibly Chile, Brazil Argentina entire South America perhaps? But i´m sure after this month i will be ready, i do hope!
Got the scare of my life today, you know how i was bitten last thursday, well as my Mum reminded me HIV is very prevelant in the poorer communities here, so when i thought about it it threw me for a loop. I asked the Lima staff if they would tell the volunteers if the people we worked with had AIDS and they said no, mostly due to privacy but also just not knowing. So talking with the teacher today she said fortunently the boy who bit me doesn´t have it but a girl in my class does. I never quite realized the incredible seriousness of being so close to HIV, and it really really scared me shitless to think i could of contracted it. Anyway being 1000 times more careful i had a good day at work. we are doing handprints with paint on the walls, just for decoration. One poor little girl was so sick so she was held all day but the others still run around like banshees. Brought in music as well, hoping Jack Johnson or Damien Rice would slow them down. Actually worked brilliant for some of the Autistic kids, they just sat in front of the player ripping paper, it was WONDERFUL!
Going to the Nazca lines and Huacachina this weekend with David and Jade, we are actually renting out the Matromonial suite because it´s the only room on ground level so we are going to be looked at pretty strangly. Being that there is three of us and Jade and i are disabled, going to look like David has a fetish or somthing! :P
Anyway i´m getting closer with the people i live with and Jade and i are getting along well. I had to come to understand that she is dealing with what i see as far tougher and different issues with her disability than I am. She has a degenerative disease so no matter what she knows she will not get better and plus she was completely normal until age 11, so that by itself is tough enough. So anyway because she has a manual and cannot push it herself she holds onto the back of my chair when we go out. As she as ever so delicatly put it we are ¨Crips on Parade¨. She was so embarrassed at first but like i told her we are in wheelchairs already plus we are gringos, so no matter where we go we are stared at. So who the hell cares?
Love you all and hope all is well!

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa R said...

Hey Meg! WOW! It looks like you are having many great adventures. Well I've been counting the days until you come home but it appears from your last post that you could go on traveling the world for years to come.
Have a great time!

Ana

2:25 PM  
Blogger Emma Smith said...

Well Megan I just wrote this lovely comment for you and then deleted it so you are going to be stuck with this. Love you, Emma

10:16 AM  
Blogger Emma Smith said...

So where the hell is your next post. I am so tired of checking this damn thing and finding there is nothing on it. German students left yesterday (lucky buggers get to stay in San Francisco for 5 days), that was the worst trip to SF I have ever taken, spent 10 hours on a bus, and hour in pier 39 ( the hotspot for tourists) 20 minutes on the beach next to the Cliffhouse, and 30 minutes in Taco Bell, for dinner of course. In addition or bus driver seemed like a crack addict and wouldn't stop the busfor 2 hours so I could go pee. Now that its Spring Break, i am painting the new rooms. 3 layers and the ceiling as well. OK, I am done bitching, how are you? I think if unsere mutter doesn't stay on the phone with you for too long I will be able to speak with. Christ I hope you are enjoying yourself because you sure as hell won't when you get home. By darling, love you. Emma

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home