Friday, May 12, 2006

Now that I have been home for a week and a half I have realized how much I have changed and how much the people around me have changed, whether it's for the better or worse. Culture shock is in full fledge at this point and everything around me is starting to really piss me off, feel a bit like my sister Emma. Like this ball of agitation is just growing and sporatically firing off at random moments and at unsuspecting people, my poor mother usually is in the line of fire. Hopefully I will not offend anyone in this blog but thought i would share my thoughts on coming home and it's nothing personal just this is i suippose the best way to do the least damage, plus don't think anyone is reading this anymore anyrate.
But i find conversations fairly irritating, it's like there is no interaction anymore, people talk over each other either to bitch about inane things or to restate the same opinion that everyone else is saying yet is strangly sounds a bit different when they say it.
I think the difficult part for me is to realize that the relationships i had before i left have changed with no fault on either party but need to be modified or morphed into something else. I don't really know how to put it into words but whoever reads this will really think i have contracted some strange parasite.
To be quite honest, i have not honestly shared the details and feelings of my trip with anyone yet, everyone seems to want to know the happy bits and the drunken roomate bits, but not the real Peru or Costa Rica. Partly due to me not being forceful and I do realize it is my fault but no one seems interested.
I Suppose the conclusion is that there needs to be a Returnee support group....

2 Comments:

Blogger Casey Marenge said...

Hi, my name is Casey and I am female age 23, and I happen to be quadriplegic paralyzed from the shoulders. I happen to come across your blog and was very fascinated by every posting. People usually say I am inspiring and for the first time I can use that word and say you have inspired me to know that Disability is not the end of the world and there is life out there. I live in Kenya, a country where Disability is considered inability and there is absolutely no government support, prior to my accident and up to today it has always been my dream, but travel the world and more so help people! You are doing just that, I would love to hear more from you and to know how I too can be a volunteer. You can also check out my blog Caseymarenge.blogspot.com, although I do not have much to say yet! Hope to hear from you, Cheers

6:22 AM  
Blogger Max said...

Hi Casey

i'm very interested in hearing your experiences, tips & comments about volunteering abroad, as I hope to volunteer with the same organisation in 2007.

Anything you could tell me would be of great interest!
I can be reached at maxinekruk@hotmail.com

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home