Thursday, June 14, 2007

Very very tired so just a forewarning that this entry may not be quite as lucid, not like any of them really are. Recently i have been working twelve hour days, not including the walk to and home from the orphanage. No worries this is changing today, i am only going to work a couple hours in the morning, from 6 till 10, otherwise I'm going to be in a bit of a state. The kids are wonderful and are learning quickly, they are really wonderful to be with but I'm having a very hard time with the director and adults constantly asking for money. I'm not sure3 why it bothers me so much but its constant harassment and always dropping hints like we really need a TV telephone clothes, mobiles. Plus now the neighbors are coming over to the orphanage with their children saying they don't have any money to send their children to school. Its strange that now its such constant harassment i feel like not giving any money, not that i can afford it anyways. But I'm giving money to my program director to buy rice and dal for them forthis month, this way I'm not giving money directly to them and yet helping. i apologise if this seems like a depressing post but Kathmandu is definitely not my favorite place, its actually quite depressing. The people seem to have this desperation that i know is valid but so hard to be around when u are looked at like a rolling ATM. It sounds horrible that i am saying this since this was the reason i came, but i was expecting the culture naively to be similar to Latin America, which i felt connected to.Don't get me wrong people here are wonderfully helpful and kind, it just thew negative aspects are a bit overwhelming. Kathmandu is very polluted and as said before very much a city of rubble and broken down colonial era houses.
My hostel is wonderful and they built a ramp for me to get in an out since there is no other accessible hostel which is under 300 rupees. I have met up with my friend Yuko from Soka that lives here, we had a nice time out with her friends, all off the elite diplomat class. I'm meeting other volunteers slowly, but its still a bit lonely, all well, i welcome the experiences good and bad!!!!!!
more later now malaai nindraa lagkyo (I'm sleepy!)
PS Thank you elany, your comments are wonderful i love to hear from you and your experiences here!! Love to hear from everyone!!
Meg

4 Comments:

Blogger Betty and Russ said...

Hi Megan,

Enjoy reading your blogs. Too bad Katmandu is not exactly what you expected. We remember Russ' niece didn't care for it and quit teaching after her contract was up. Not much new around Grass Valley. It extremely hot and we are all melting.

Best wishes and hugs, Betty & Russ

9:38 PM  
Blogger elany said...

it sounds tough there now. I was always asked for money & stared at by lg. groups of curious men (which is why I figured the women came up with wearing veils to cover up their faces!) But this behavior happened more so in India. The beggar ladies were laden with silver bracelets who put out their hand for a "bakshish"from me. I showed them I had no jewelry whatsoever, but this is the caste system dictating their position in life as a beggar. Once I gave an orange to a cripple who refused it because I was an untouchable and he couldnt eat what I had touched!
Just a different culture. I enjoy your blogs.

11:20 PM  
Blogger elany said...

that was me megan, Elany not jiri

11:44 PM  
Blogger elany said...

hey meg-it's ariana. i'm sorry. life sounds pretty difficult. good job on sucking it up and dealing with it. :) i hope the food at least is good. can you speak nepalese well enough to explain to them that you ARE NOT an ATM despite the fact that you are american? ahhhh...well love. if you decide to come home early (which I'm not encouraging you to!) I would be more than pleased! i am bored to death (babysitting your smelly dogs). but hey-at least YOU will have something to talk about for your summer! love you girl-i wish you well

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home